It’s the end of the decade. Hallelujah! But as bad as the aughts were politically, they were COMPLETELY AWESOME musically. And I’m counting down the top 100 songs of the 00s. Difficulty: No artist can be mentioned more than once. Impossible? No. But pretty darn difficult.
Lots more women for 70-61.
70. We Are the People – Empire of the Sun 2008
The bridge alone is enough for “We Are the People” to make this list. Luckily, this Australian duo brings it the entire song. Too bad they sold it for a Vizio TV commercial. Boo.
69. Naked as We Came – Iron & Wine 2005
True love, long love. Lovely harmonies.
68. Womanizer – Britney Spears 2008
Who ya tryna front? Now that Britney’s gone bonkers, I’m a fan. Other great songs from the 00s: “Toxic,” “If You Seek Amy.” Yep, despite the fact that Ms. Spears can’t sing a lick, she churns out hit after hit. Impressive.
67. Walking with a Ghost – Tegan and Sara 2005
As some German dude said on Youtube: tegan and sara`s version ist besser. And it’s true; their vocals are otherworldly. Confession: I would like to give them both better haircuts.
66. Feet Asleep – Thao Nguyen & the Get Down Stay Down 2008
The drudgery of life broken by an un-self-conscious optimism. Put on your slow dancin’ shoes.
65. Red – Okkervil River 2002
I miss my mother, too!
64. Munich – The Editors 2005
I’m not supposed to like this song as much as I do. It’s supposedly “girl music.” And anything a girl likes must not be worth much. ::rolls eyes:: Whatevs, I like his accent.
63. Wasted Little DJs – The View 2008
This is the most played song on my iPod. I seriously can’t turn these sassy Scots off.
62. You Don’t Know Me – Ben Folds ft Regina Spektor 2006
A super-fun duet from the famous piano noodler and a soul sista.
61. Foundations – Kate Nash 2007
She’s a cheeky bird, i’nt she? I dig this smart, talented British doll.
Check back for 60 – 51.